Best Z790 Motherboards in 2023
Z790 Motherboard: Introduction
In the ever-evolving world of computer hardware, 2023 has marked the arrival of the Z790 motherboard, a groundbreaking advancement for tech enthusiasts. But why is the Z790 motherboard a game-changer, and what makes it stand out from its predecessors? This article delves into the top Z790 motherboards, ensuring you make an informed choice for your next PC build.
Z790 Motherboard: Best Choices
1. ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi
Why Choose ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi?
The ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi is an affordable yet high-performance z790 motherboard. It’s tailored for those seeking top-notch features without breaking the bank. But what exactly sets it apart?
Key Features of this Z790 Motherboard
- PCI-E Slots: It has a future-ready PCI-E 5.0 and several PCI-E 4.0 M.2 slots. This means it’s ready for the next generation of GPUs and SSDs.
- Color Scheme: The sleek black and silver design is perfect for a stylish white-themed gaming setup. Isn’t it great to have both style and substance?
- Memory Support: DDR5 memory support with up to 7200MHz speed ensures your games and applications run smoothly. But can it handle more demanding tasks?
Connectivity and Performance of this Z790 motherboard
- Versatile Connectivity: With multiple high-speed USB ports, including a 20GB/s Type-C and WiFi 6E, it offers many connectivity options. However, is this enough for all your devices?
- Overclocking Limitations: Although it has 14+1 VRM power phases, it’s not ideal for overclocking powerful CPUs like the Core i9 13900K. Could this be a dealbreaker for power users?
Pros and Cons of this Z790 motherboard
- Competitive price.
- Versatile for gaming and workstations.
- Rich set of IO ports.
- The aesthetic might appeal to some.
- Limited to Gen4 SSDs.
- Armoury Crate software can be tricky.
- Features: 4.5/5
- Design: 4.3/5
- Value for Money: 4.6/5
4.⅘ is Our Verdict. The ASUS Prime Z790-A WiFi is an excellent choice for those who want to balance price and Performance in a z790 motherboard. But what about those looking for even more advanced features? Stay tuned to find out more about other z790 motherboards.
2. Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX
Why the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX?
Are you in search of an affordable DDR5 z790 motherboard? Discover the excellence of the Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX. But what makes it a wallet-friendly powerhouse?
- PCI-E Slots Galore: It boasts numerous PCI-E 4.0 SSD slots and a Gen5 slot, perfect for gamers and audiophiles with its high-quality audio codec. Is it the right choice for your dream gaming setup?
- Form Factor and RAM Support: The ATX form factor and support for DDR5 7600MHz RAM ensure it’s affordable and powerful. But how does it handle overclocking?
Performance and Connectivity of this Z790 Motherboard
- Overclocking Capabilities: 16 + 1 + 2 VRM power phases allow some serious CPU overclocking. Are you ready to push your 12th or 13th Gen Intel processor to new heights?
- Internet Connectivity Options: WiFi 6E and a 2.5 Gigabit LAN port offer flexibility for internet connections. But does it cover all your needs?
Pros and Cons
- Excellent for RAM and CPU overclocking.
- Numerous M.2 drive slots.
- Plenty of high-speed IO ports.
- Slightly more expensive.
- DDR5 RAM can add to the cost.
- Lacks Gen5 SSD support.
- Features: 4.6/5
- Performance: 4.5/5
- Value for Money: 4.5/5
4.5/5 is Our Verdict. The Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX is ideal for those seeking an affordable z790 motherboard with great features. But could there be a better option for you? Stay tuned to explore more about z790 motherboards.
3. ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi D4
Discover the ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi D4
Are you looking for a z790 motherboard that combines style with functionality? The ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi D4 is a top contender. But what makes it stand out in the ASUS lineup?
Style Meets Substance
- Eye-Catching Design: The industrial theme with yellow accents makes it one of the best-looking z790 motherboards. Is its appearance as impressive as its Performance?
- USB Connectivity: An abundance of USB ports makes it ideal for users with many peripherals. But does it have enough to meet all your connectivity needs?
Key Specifications of this Z790 Motherboard
- Form Factor and RAM: It is a solid mid-range option with an ATX form factor and DDR4 5333MHz RAM support. But how does it compare to ASUS’s more expensive models?
- Future-Ready: The support for PCI-E 5.0 graphics cards ensures it’s ready for upcoming tech. But is this enough for a future-proof setup?
Connectivity and Overclocking
- Connectivity Options: High-speed USB 3.2 ports and 2.5 Gigabit LAN and WiFi 6 offer versatile internet options. However, could the lack of WiFi 6E be a limitation?
- Modest Overclocking: The 16+1 VRM power phases allow for decent overclocking. But is it the best choice for power users?
Pros and Cons
- Supports the latest PCI-E 5.0 graphics cards.
- Wide range of IO options.
- More affordable than many competitors.
- Limited to WiFi 6.
- Lacks support for Gen5 SSDs.
- DDR5 variants offer better Performance.
- Features: 4.5/5
- Performance: 4.6/5
- Value for Money: 4.6/5
Our Verdict: 4.6/5. The ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi D4 is great for a stylish and functional z790 motherboard. But are there other options that could better meet your needs? Keep reading to explore more z790 motherboards.
4. MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi
Explore the MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi
The MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi emerges as a top-tier DDR5 z790 motherboard. Perfect for mid-range to high-end gaming PCs, but what sets it apart in a crowded market?
Design and User Experience of this Z790 Motherboard
- Premium Design: The board keeps components cool with ample heatsinks and adds a premium aesthetic. But does its appearance match its Performance?
- Toolless M.2 Heatsinks: MSI’s innovative design allows easy installation of M.2 drives. Could this be a game-changer for PC builders?
- Form Factor and PCI-E Slots: The ATX form factor and a mix of Gen5 and Gen4 PCI-E slots provide flexibility. But how does this impact its compatibility with future technology?
- RAM Support: With support for DDR5 7600MHz RAM, it promises high-speed Performance. But is it enough for the most demanding applications?
Performance and Connectivity of this Z790 motherboard
- Overclocking Capabilities: A 22-phase power design offers excellent overclocking potential. But does it truly elevate your CPU’s Performance?
- Connectivity Options: High-speed USB 3.2 ports, WiFi 6E, and 2.5 Gigabit LAN ensure optimal Connectivity. However, does the board have any limitations in this area?
Pros and Cons
- Feature-rich for high-end builds.
- Robust VRM design for overclocking.
- Sleek, minimalist aesthetic.
- Among the pricier z790 motherboards.
- Lacks 10 Gigabit LAN support.
- MSI Center software can be challenging to navigate.
Our Ratings for this Z790 motherboard
- Features: 4.8/5
- Design: 4.7/5
- Value for Money: 4.8/5
4.7/5 is Our Verdict. The MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi is an excellent choice for those seeking a feature-rich z790 motherboard. But are there options that offer better value for money? Stay tuned to find out more about other z790 motherboards in our lineup.
5. MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE
The Pinnacle of Luxury: MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE
In high-end z790 motherboards, the MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE is a true standout. But what justifies its premium price tag?
High-End Design and Features
- Luxurious Aesthetics: This board targets the luxury market with RGB lighting and high-end design. But is it just about looks?
- Unmatched Performance: The board’s ability to support up to 192GB of DDR5 memory, overclockable to 7800MHz, promises unparalleled Performance. But does it deliver?
Key Specifications of this Z790 motherboard
- Form Factor and Expansion Slots: Its E-ATX form factor and multiple Gen5 and Gen4 PCI-E slots speak to its power. But will it fit in your setup?
- RAM Support: With DDR5 7800MHz support, it’s poised to handle the most demanding tasks. But how does this impact your gaming and productivity needs?
Connectivity and Versatility of this Z790 motherboard
- Premium Connectivity Options: WiFi 6E, 2.5 Gigabit LAN, and Thunderbolt 4 offer many connectivity choices. However, does this align with your specific needs?
- Compatibility Considerations: Despite impressive specs, its E-ATX form factor limits case compatibility. Is this a dealbreaker for you?
Pros and Cons
- An abundance of top-tier features.
- User-friendly accessibility features.
- Eye-catching LCD.
- Significantly more expensive than other z790 motherboards.
- Limited compatibility with more minor PC cases.
- It could use more RGB lighting options.
- Features: 4.8/5
- Design: 4.6/5
- Value for Money: 4.2/5
4.6/5 is Our Verdict. The MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE is a luxury choice for those who demand the best in z790 motherboards. But is it the right fit for your budget and build? Keep reading as we explore more options in the z790 motherboard range.
Understanding Chipset Compatibility
The plethora of chipsets and socket types can be daunting for first-time builders. Choosing a compatible chipset is crucial to avoid damaging your CPU and incurring unnecessary costs. But how do you ensure you’re making the right choice?
Compatibility with 13th and 12th Gen CPUs
Good news for those eyeing the latest processors: all 13th-Gen CPUs are supported by z790 motherboards. Additionally, 12th-gen CPUs are also compatible. This means you can opt for a more budget-friendly CPU without compromising motherboard quality. But are there any limitations to this compatibility?
What About 11th and 10th Gen CPUs?
Unfortunately, due to different CPU socket requirements, the z790 motherboard does not support 11th and 10th-Gen CPUs. It’s a crucial detail that could influence your decision. So, what should you consider when choosing a CPU for a z790 motherboard?
CPU Compatibility Table
- Intel 13th-Gen CPUs (LGA 1700): Compatible with Z790, B760, H770, and also older chipsets like Z690, H670, B660, H610 with a BIOS update.
- Intel 12th-Gen CPUs (LGA 1700): Compatible with Z790, B760, H770, and older chipsets like Z690, H670, B660, H610, also with a BIOS update.
- Intel 11th and 10th-Gen CPUs (LGA 1200): Not compatible with Z790, but fit for Z590, H570, B560, and H510.
Making the Right Choice
Choosing the correct z790 motherboard is more than just about features; it’s about ensuring compatibility with your CPU. But what else should you consider for a seamless building experience? Stay tuned for more insights on choosing the perfect motherboard for your PC build.